The beginning of a beautiful friendship?
A No Tomato Pasta Sauce
Tomatoes are at the center of many of the nations most popular dishes including spaghetti, soups, and yes… pizza. Unfortunately, many people are allergic to or unable to tolerate tomatoes. So what are we to do?
This No Tomato Pasta Sauce recipe could be the beginning of a beautiful (renewed) friendship with your old favorite dishes. It is made from real whole food ingredients that will surprise you. I am not smart enough to have come up with this one. Vegan Girl at allrecipes.com posted the original version of this astonishing tomato sauce replacement. After making this sauce a few times, I made a few refinements as shown in the recipe below. Your taste buds will not know the difference and your stomach may be just a little happier. Enjoy.
Ingredients (Yields 8 servings)
- 2 lbs. Fresh organic carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 lb. Fresh organic beets (peeled)
- 4 Cloves organic garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 Yellow or Red organic onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Organic Bay leaf
- 2 Tbs. Italian seasoning (no salt)
- 1 Tbs. Basil (dried or fresh chopped)
- 1 Tbs.
- 1/4 C. Red wine vinegar
- 4 C. Organic vegetable broth (low sodium)
- Add prepped carrots and beets to blender.
- Add 1 C. of vegetable broth to blender
- Blend until smooth.
- Water saute onions and garlic for 5-7 or until onion is translucent.
- Add Italian seasoning, basil, and parsley.
- Continue water saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add carrot and beet puree.
- Bring to boil.
- Add remaining 3 cups of vegetable broth and the bay leaf.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes up to 4 hours.
Watch the sauce as it simmers, stir and add additional vegetable broth as needed to maintain the desired thickness during cooking.
Off The Grid Health Recommends
- Using organic or Clean 15 ingredients wherever possible.
- Simmering for at least 30 minutes if using sauce in another recipe.
- Using this sauce in pizza, soups/stews, or pastas or almost any recipe calling for tomato sauce.