It had me at Asparagus...
Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup
It had me at asparagus…
Seriously, if you want to amp up your nutrition pronto, then you want to reach for asparagus. One cup of raw asparagus is only 27 calories and has 3 grams of (complete) protein; probably more protein per calorie than your favorite protein bar. However, if you are like me, you have tried to prepare asparagus and ruined it or had someone else serve you some limp, greasy asparagus stalks and swore to never try it again. Well, hold on. If you love or miss cream based soup, you will love this fast, filling, almost fool-proof recipe. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have any cream (cuz that’s how we ‘no-lacts’ roll.) I swapped out macadamia nuts for the cashews found in the original recipe by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, MD.
Let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Ingredients: (Yields 4 servings)
- 1 lb. Fresh asparagus, chopped into 1″ pieces
- 2 Tbs. No-salt seasoning to taste.
- 2 C. Water
- 1 Tbs. Braggs Aminos
- 1 C. 3-Minute Almond milk or other plant-based milk.
- 1/4 C. Raw Macadamia Nuts or Walnuts
- 1/4 C. Raw Almonds
- 4 Pitted dates
- * Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Add water, Bragg’s, and seasoning to a large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil then add chopped asparagus.
- Return to boil for 1 min.
- Reduce heat and simmer until asparagus is tender.
- Add asparagus with its liquid to a high-speed blender.
- Add remaining ingredients to blender (except cilantro).
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into serving bowls, garnish with fresh cilantro.
Off The Grid Health Recommends:
- Using organic or Clean 15 ingredients whenever possible.
- Making this recipe with our 3 Minute Almond Milk recipe for a delicious plant-based milk.
- Substituting macadamia nuts for cashews (I do not like cashews.)
- Avoiding asparagus if you suffer from gout due to the high purine content of asparagus.