Strategies Not Resolutions
A New Year Health Strategy
Now that the holidays are soon to end, what are some of your New Year’s health strategies in 2015? I mean strategies not resolutions.
The problem with resolutions is that they are just declarations. They often sound like (in a medieval period drama town crier voice), “Hear Ye! Hear Ye! I hereby in 2015 will break a sweat, work out, and lose weight! So let it be written! So let it be done!” (Ok,the latter part was more like Pharoah in the Ten Commandments movie.)
Strategy is done in a closed room, with data, goals, and knowledgable advisors. The result of a good strategy session should be a plan of action. A simple health strategy could look like this:
- Lose 10 lbs. by April 1, 2015
- Eliminate some empty calories.
- Establish new habits
- I didn’t lose any weight last year.
- I drink a can of Coke (143 cal., $1.) and a Grande White Chocolate Mocha Latte (470 cal., $6.) on the weekdays.
- Create a calorie deficit of 3000 calories a week for 12 weeks.
- Cost neutral – no net costs.
- Must be simple.
- Eliminate all sodas and sugary coffee drinks & replace with unsweetened green tea and black coffee to produce net calorie reduction.
- Brisk walk 30 mins. per day to burn an extra 100 cal./day or 700 cal. per week.
Materials and Supplies
- Green Tea Bags 150 for $10 at bulk store.
- Cup of unflavored black coffee $1.00 / day.
- Mall for walking (Free!)
- Total weekly calorie deficit = 3700 cals.
- Expect mild caffeine withdrawal symptoms in beginning.
- Estimated weight loss = 12 wks. * 3700 cals./3500 cals/lb = 12.7 lbs. by April 1st, and if continued, 25 lbs. lighter by July!
- Net savings of $100 / month. (Now we can keep the cable on or get a gym membership to keep momentum going!)
- Lower dependency on caffeine.
That’s just from replacing Coca-Cola and Starbucks! It’s like money in the bank! You will be mindlessly losing weight and establishing new habits.
Now you have this template to build your health strategy this year! Enjoy.